Nicolai Bachmann, MA
The Language of Yoga is the perfect tool to help you pronounce asana names and yoga terms correctly! Learn how to read, write, and pronounce over 200 asana names and over 300 Sanskrit terms relating to yoga. Includes 7 chants, asana names in alphabetical order, and separate tracks for Ashtanga sequences.
- Hard-over-spiral-bound book with 2 full audio CDs inside
- Draws from the 3 major lineages of T. Krishnamacarya (Iyengar, Jois, Desikachar)
- Covers the vast majority of asanas practiced in the West
- Includes almost every common Sanskrit word related to yoga
- Chants from each tradition along with other popular yoga chants
- Audio and visual components reinforce each other
- Serves as a teaching guide and reference manual
Book (140 pages hard-over-spiral-bound)
- Convenient 8 3/4" x 6 1/2" size
- 7 common yoga chants
- Over 300 Sanskrit terms
- Over 200 asana names with clear line drawings
- Shows the original Devanagari Sanskrit script, transliteration and brief translation for everything
- Asana names listed alphabetically A to Y by Sanskrit name
- Three ways to quickly find an asana using the indices
- Locate by image by scanning the miniature line drawings
- locate by a different Sanskrit name using the Asana Name Synonym Index
- locate by the English translation using the English Name Index
- Easily accessible Sanskrit Pronunciation Key in the back of the book
- CD time points so the listener can go directly to a particular asana name on a given track
- Ashtanga sequences modularized to make it easy for practitioners of 1st, 2nd or 3rd series
"Thank you so much for producing this wonderful book and CD set - it is by far one of the most valuable resources I have come across for this type of information. All is presented so clearly and accessibly! This is a must own for all yoga teachers and serious students. I lead an annual Yoga Teacher Training course and this will be one of the first texts that I encourage prospective teachers to own!
Ateeka, Maui, HI
Nicolai Bachman has accomplished a monumental task (something which, secretly, I had hoped to do myself someday) in producing Asana Names and the Language of Yoga.
Effectively organized, clear, and breathtakingly comprehensive, Nicolai's work is necessary for all yoga students who aspire to learn the Sanskrit sounds of yoga.
Thank you, Nicolai. The Language of Yoga has my highest recommendation.
Aadil Palkhivala, Yoga Centers, Bellevue, WA
About the Author
Nicolai Bachman, MA, RYT has been teaching Sanskrit and related topics since 1994. He has studied at the American Sanskrit Institute, graduated from the Ayurvedic Institute, and received his M.A. in Eastern Philosophy from St. John's College. He has produced several Sanskrit audio/visual-learning tools including 108 Sanskrit Flash Cards, Asana Names, and the Language of Yoga. Nicolai currently teaches Sanskrit, Chanting, Yoga Philosophy and Ayurveda in Santa Fe and throughout the country - wherever there are eager and interested students. He is registered with Yoga Alliance at the 500-hour level.
Purchase for Wholesale