Nicolai Bachmann, MA
Learn how to read, write, and pronounce the Sanskrit alphabet with these 108 color-coded cards and accompanying audio CD. This collection of resources is specifically designed to organically step you through the letters in alphabetical order, then letters with vowels, and finally words.
If you learn the Sanskrit alphabet, then you can read and pronounce anything including mantras, chants, and verses, because Sanskrit is 100% phonetic.
These flash cards have been designed for those who want to correctly read, pronounce, and alphabetize letters and words in the Devanagari script of Sanskrit. The ability to read the original script is essential for correct pronunciation.
There are 108 colored flash cards and 6 cream cards which surround them and contain reference information. The cards are organized as follows:
- Green Cards: Punctuation, consonant+vowel, consonant+consonant, words; 48
- Brown Cards: Consonants; 33
- Yellow Cards: Vowels and special letters; 27
- Cream Cards: Reference alphabet, Vedic marks, numbers, and mouth positions; 6
Flash Card features:
- All cards show the Devanagari on the front and transliteration on the back, including all card numbers.
- Reference cards (white) include an introductory verse, a mouth position diagram, the alphabet, vowel abbreviations, digits 0-9 and Vedic accent marks.
- Professionally printed on color-coded recycled 80# cardstock cut to 3x4 inches
- 2 different sort orders—progressive and alphabetic (for dictionary practice)
- Includes all non-obvious unique ligatures and letter variations
- Sanskrit example on almost every card
- Position of the letters in the alphabet is shown graphically on every card
- How to write each character, showing arrowed lines numbered for stroke order
Compact Disc features:
- 12 tracks, including
- Chant to Ganesha
- Chant to the Heart
- Vowels and Special Letters
- Consonant/Vowel combinations
- Compound Consonants
- Alphabet - Guided chant
- Alphabet - Chanted continuously
- To promote correct pronunciation only Sanskrit examples are pronounced.
- All sounds and examples are repeated twice with space for the student to pronounce. This gives a total of 4 sound impressions per card.
"Having familiarity with the Sanskrit language is a key ingredient for any serious practitioner of yoga.
These cards and CD make Sanskrit accessible and enjoyable."
Tias Little, Yoga Source of Santa Fe
"Beautiful job on the flashcards. Altogether a very inspirational package."
David Curtis, Tibetan Language Institute
"I highly recommend this for anyone wishing to learn how to read and pronounce the original Sanskrit script."
David Frawley, American Institute of Vedic Studies
"An invaluable resource for the beginning student of Sanskrit.
Compact and clear, it makes learning the pronunciation, reading and writing of this ancient language a joy."
Amadea Morningstar, Author of The Ayurvedic Cookbook
About the Author
Nicolai Bachman, MA, RYT has been teaching Sanskrit and related topics since 1994. He has studied at the American Sanskrit Institute, graduated from the Ayurvedic Institute, and received his M.A. in Eastern Philosophy from St. John's College. He has produced several Sanskrit audio/visual-learning tools including 108 Sanskrit Flash Cards, Asana Names, and the Language of Yoga. Nicolai currently teaches Sanskrit, Chanting, Yoga Philosophy and Ayurveda in Santa Fe and throughout the country - wherever there are eager and interested students. He is registered with Yoga Alliance at the 500-hour level.
Purchase for Wholesale